20 ربيع الأول 1445  ,  05 October 2023

Announcement of the Passing ... Date Added: 28-08-2023

Birth of the Awaited ... Date Added: 28-08-2023

Gentleness with the ... Date Added: 23-08-2023

Negative Aspects Emanating ... Date Added: 22-08-2023

Halal Economy: Encyclopedia ... Date Added: 06-09-2023

A Message to all Muslims ... Date Added: 30-08-2023

Ramadan is the Month of ... Date Added: 30-08-2023

Guidelines for the ... Date Added: 29-08-2023


Subject : Wants to Build a House Away from his Brothers

Fatwa Number : 292

Date : 16-08-2009

Classified : Social & Psychological Problems

Fatwa Type : Search Fatawaa

Question :

My father left us a flat building and a separate house on the same plot of land. Before his passing away, he had bequeathed a flat for each and that one gets the house. My flat is very old and lacks the proper utilities, so I told my big brother that I waive my right in it and that I will try to build my own house somewhere else. He got angry and said he will turn his back on me and that I was forced to fulfill our father`s bequest. My mother shared the same opinion. What is the ruling of Sharia on this?

The Answer :

Praise be to Allah the Lord of the Worlds.

When a Muslim passes away, all his property goes to his/her legitimate heirs. This is of course after covering his debts and burial expenses and executing his bequests. However, no bequest must be made to an heir unless approved by other heirs and they waive their right to the heir the bequest was made in favor of.

The deceased`s estate must be divided amongst the eligible heirs as stipulated in Sharia along with making sure that the girls and their mother get their legitimate shares.

It isn`t permissible to force an heir to reside in a certain place under the pretext of dutifulness to parents or the right of brotherhood. If the mother is incapacitated, then she may live with you for Allah The Almighty, Says (What means): "Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour." {Al-Isra`, 23}. A brother doesn`t have the right to force his brother to remain living in a certain place without any legal necessity since living away from family doesn`t mean severing good ties of kinship with them.

In conclusion, you should do what you see fit for you and your family without any transgression against their rights and try to do your best to win their hearts. And Allah The Almighty Knows Best.



Name *

E. mail Address *


Comment Title *

Comment *


Warning: this window is not dedicated to receive religious questions, but to comment on topics published for the benefit of the site administrators—and not for publication. We are pleased to receive religious questions in the section "Send Your Question". So we apologize to readers for not answering any questions through this window of "Comments" for the sake of work organization. Thank you.