Subject : Took some Money from his Paternal Uncle without Permission
Fatwa Number : 323
Date : 23-08-2009
Classified : Forbidden Money
Fatwa Type : Search Fatawaa

Question :

One of my paternal uncles is married to a Syrian woman. Every time he leaves to Syria, he puts me in charge of his car wash without any payment. In fact, I don`t want to get paid for that and I have never taken any money from the revenue of his business. However, my car broke down and I had to take 150 JDs to pay for the mechanic and gas. I haven`t told my uncle about that but I intend to deposit 300 JDs in his bank account without telling him. What is the ruling of Sharia on this?

The Answer :

All perfect praise be to Allah the Lord of the Worlds. May His peace and blessings be upon Prophet Mohammad and upon all his family and companions.


Undoubtedly, the sum-150 JDs-that you (Asker) have taken from your uncle is unlawful to you because you didn`t ask for his permission. In this regard, the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) says: "It isn`t permissible to take the wealth of a Muslim without his consent/permission." {Related by Ahmad, No. 5/72}.


It is incumbent upon you to return that sum to your uncle and ask him to forgive you because this is better and draws you closer to Allah`s forgiveness.


However, if you are worried that making such confession would make him hate you and severe kinship ties, then you could deposit that sum in his bank account without telling him, in addition to making sincere repentance to Allah and asking Him to forgive you. And Allah The Almighty Knows Best.



Warning: this window is not dedicated to receive religious questions, but to comment on topics published for the benefit of the site administrators—and not for publication. We are pleased to receive religious questions in the section "Send Your Question". So we apologize to readers for not answering any questions through this window of "Comments" for the sake of work organization. Thank you.